Sunday, December 30, 2012

{5 Things to Start Doing in Your Recovery}

1. Stop looking at photos of skinny models, stop following pro-ana blogs, stop using thin girls as motivation to be smaller. 


I know some people who claim they want to recover but they continue to look at/post/re-blog these types of photos. You know, the ones of those thinner-than-death-girls who have thighs of all one size, and bones sticking out at every angle. These photos are only going to sabotage your progress and make the ED stronger. If you must look at photos for motivation look at all of the women around you. These are healthy, REAL women and they are truly beautiful. 

2. Start learning about the benefits of the foods you are eating. Learn how they are nourishing your heart, blood, bones, brains, etc. 

When I started doing this major changes happened. I started eating for health and not for calories or numbers. I ate because I knew I was putting good food into my body, food that would nourish my organs, help my brain function, and keep my heart pumping. It's amazing what good food can do for you. 

3. Start posting positive notes around your house, especially on your mirrors. 


At one point in my recovery my bedroom walls were completely covered in quotes and positive images that you could no longer even make out the color of the walls. Every time I walked into my room, I was reminded of all the reasons why I needed and wanted to fight and beat ED once and for all. Post sticky notes on your mirrors that say things such as, "You look gorgeous today!" or "You are enough", and when you look at them you will be filled with love and positive energy. 

4. Start reading recovery books, self-help books, positive thinking books. Learn how your mind works and start changing your negative thoughts into positive ones. 

Some of the best books I have read have been ones written about recovery or stories of people who have recovered. The best ones I would recommend would be Jenni Schaefer's Life Without Ed and Osho's Emotional Wellness. There are so many good ones out there, just start reading and learn something!

5. Start lifting weights and focus on gaining strength instead of burning calories. Learn about your muscles and lift to be strong. 

My true recovery really started when I found my love for lifting weights. I found a strength in me bigger than anything else. I was powerful and it felt like a whole new Tayla was born. Ed used to give me false power by telling me that not eating and losing weight were my strengths, but lifting weights ave me real power, and I started to believe in myself again and my confidence went through the roof. So start lifting something heavy (if medically approved) and watch your self love and confidence rise to new heights!

Last but not least, when you feel like giving up, keep going. Keep pushing forward even if you don't like you can. You can and you will. 
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment